Friday, April 11, 2008

Spil drives in 5, Rox/Braves finale snowed out

Ryan Spilborghs got the start on Wednesday against the Braves, and went 3-5 with a HR, a double, and 5 RBI. Not Too Shabby! Naturally, because Ryan and his mighty Beard were in the lineup, the Rockies sailed past the Braves 12-6. The 12 runs nearly doubled their year-to-date run total, so it's nice to see the bats wake up a bit. Torrealba also showed signs of life at the plate, going 3-4 with a 3-run homer. Thursday's game was snowed out and will be made up on June 16, when both teams have a scheduled day off.

The Rockies are still closer to the basement (AKA San Francisco) than to the top of the NL West, but it seems they have shaken off their slow start. They now go to Arizona to face the hot D-backs, winners of six straight, including a three-game sweep of the Rockies at Coors Field. Maybe the Rockies return the favor. Webb against Francis tonight. Francis needs to get it going; the D-backs knocked him around pretty good in his only official start this year, and in the opener against the Cardinals, Francis was down 5-1 with one out in the 3rd, when Mother Nature gave him a freebie and knocked perhaps his worst-ever performance off the books.

I stood in a beer line behind Jeff Francis at an Avalanche game last season. He was trying to buy a drink for his girlfriend/wife and it looked like he was confused about the process. Kinda fumbled with his money, fumbled with his license, and I'm standing there thinking "come on, dude, the puck's gonna drop any minute." Then my buddy kind of nodded his head sideways in that "check it out" sort of motion, and I realized that the tall, goofy kid I was getting slightly impatient with was none other than Francis. And then I sat there thinking, how can a guy who looks so calm pitching in the major leagues look so flustered trying to negotiate a wine cooler transaction for his lady? I, on the other hand, ordered my beer with authority and paid as if I'd done it a million times, and got out of there quick. I could tell that the person serving us really appreciated me for it. So there, Jeff!

--Jim

No comments: